A Snow Storm of apocalyptic proportions ransacked the unsuspecting, sleepy borough of Atlanta, GA. Once the haven of moderate winter temperatures, it was quickly and brutally transformed into Atlantartica yesterday evening. And thus the story begins.
As some may know my wife is in the medical professional and unfortunately grave illness does not take a snow day. On the eve of the Snow Storm’s assualt I took it upon myself to carry her upon my robust steed (i.e. 2004 Navy Blue Honda Accord without leather seats) to tend to the stricken. The Snow Storm had just begun to unleash it’s fury as we left our Castle abode. I utitlized my well honed snow driving ability developed in the frigid northeastern territories (i.e. New Hampshire) often driving with only one hand on the steering wheel. Upon ferrying my beautiful Queen (Note how I continue to weave the Castle/king/monarch metaphor throughout? Literary Genius. Keep reading. There is more.) to her destination I began my return. I believe my twitter feed provides an appropriate “in the moment” summary of the events that transpired. As such, I have inserted it as follows:
- I am tweeting live from Briarcliff Road #Atlantartica. Might be a long night. http://myloc.me/glnQt17 hours ago
- And there goes an ambulance sliding by me…. Sideways.#Atlantarticahttp://myloc.me/glqfy16 hours ago
- Agreed #Atlantartica RT @fransays1: @PJC21 is taking me to work and the snow is really coming down! Too bad cancer doesn’t take a snow day. 16 hours ago
- Decided to abondon my car. Rest of the way on foot. #Atlantarticahttp://plixi.com/p/6902126916 hours ago
- Note to self: Loafers look nice, are good around the house, terrible snow shoes. #Atlantarticahttp://myloc.me/gltxz15 hours ago
- Approximately 2 miles from home self portrait. Good looking even when covered in snow. #Atlantartichttp://plixi.com/p/6902383915 hours ago
- Where is Bear Grills when you need him? #Atlantarticahttp://myloc.me/gluRF 15 hours ago
- Not entirely certain but I think I lost a toe to frostbite. What would Bear Grills do? Chew on it for the marrow. #Atlantartica 15 hours ago
- Awesome #Atlantartica RT @TheSal_: Heating pad on, foot warmers, hot towels, hot tea… all awaiting your arrival @PJC21!
- I would like to thank the gentleman driving his suburban that stopped me for directions & did not offer me a lift. #stayclassy#Atlantartica 15 hours ago
- Half a mile #Atlantartica RT @matthewldonald: Gow close are you now?RT @PJC21: Will do RT @kalee67: @PJC21 Be careful out there !!! 15 hours ago
- If I had my iPad I bet there would be a snowmobile app I could ride home. #Atlantartica http://myloc.me/glys1 15 hours ago
- I feel like Rocky #Atlantartica RT @smile15x: @PJC21 you can do it! 15 hours ago
- I can almost taste it. Or rather feel a dry set of clothes. Last few weeks have been intense. #Atlantartica http://plixi.com/p/69033897 15 hours ago
- Made it. Thanks for the Twitter support/ridicule. Thanks to @missagnas @TheSal_ for the tea #Atlantartica http://plixi.com/p/69035777 15 hours ago
For those of you wondering the distance traveled on foot was approximately 3.5 miles as denoted on the attached Google Map.
And thus the night passed and The Snow Storm raged against our ramparts but they held, indeed they held. I began to prepare a masterful plan to carry my Queen back to the Castle upon the completion of her duties. I procured a powerful steed upon which to execute my white knight ride to save her (This metaphor get’s a little grey as I was not actually the one driving the steed rather it was another man, to protect his identity we shall refer him to as Mr. Brown, but I did hold her hand as she boarded said steed – nice foreshadowing, eh?). As we, crossed the drawbridge I screamed at the Winter Storm, “Do your worst because I certainly shall do mine”.
And this time I was prepared. I had a secret weapon. Cashmere and leather gloves. My fingers would not be so numb this time Winter Storm. Cowed by the impressive couter-attack I mounted upon my steed I obtained victory bringing my Queen safely back to the Cahill Keep. And thus the Winter Storm was vanquished. (Side note: The abandoned original steed was recovered and nursed back to health.)